The use of Web applications is growing day by day as well as its size. This is why a project of this topic need a team of several developers with different skills in order to finish the product on time. This is why we use this tool. All files related to the project are stored in the repository which is located on a remote server. Any member of the team could make changes and send to the repository, which can then be downloaded by other members of the team.
These are some of the benefits of using this tool:
- Multiple users can edit the same file simultaneously. Everyone can work without interruption in its local copy. To send the changes, the system will provide tools to integrate them without overwriting modifications made by another developer.
- Associate changes to a task. Every changes sent to the repository can be associated to a particular task (eg development of a new feature, change, solving a bug, etc).
- Roll-back to a previous version. At any time you can return to any previous version of the product.
- Log of changes of the repository. Useful if you do not remember which files were modified in a particular task. It has a log of all changes posted and each files which were modified in them.
- Get metric. Useful for measuring the quality and quantity of work in a unit time.
- Restrict read / write directory. Allows you to set read and write permissions on each directory to different users. In this way, users only has access to files according to its profile and the tasks that should perform.
- Backup. All versions of the product are hosted on a remote server. Its only necessary to backup the repository in the server to have all the versions saved.